Last January, when I hadn't yet put away all the Christmas wrapping and decorations, the temperatures hovered around 5 degrees and we all had a nasty case of cabin fever, I got online (probably around 2am) and reserved a camping site at Ponderosa State Park in McCall. I smiled to myself that night, thinking of riding bikes, swimming in the lake in the heat of the summer and eating ice cream with my family...Six months later...
We rode our bikes until our rear ends were sore, swam in the lake until we were sunburned and water-logged, and ate giant cones at Ice Cream Alley. We also tirelessly swatted mosquitoes, ate mostly-raw pancakes for breakfast and wadded up swimming towels at night in place of the pillows we accidentally left behind. Don't get me wrong--I love being outside, hiking, biking and exploring nature. But I think in my late-thirties-old-age I have developed a good relationship with and healthy appreciation for my just-right firm mattress, strategic placement of at least three pillows, and 71 degree bedroom. But, as with so many other things, something that could be completely miserable is made fun and interesting because there are two curious and energetic kids to share it with.

We love Payette Lake!
Wilson had a little book that he used to keep notes on things he saw this week. Check out his list for this day...
**********
I wasn't sure if I should post this next picture because it has the potential to make a person sick, but when Zane crafted a beard out of 'witches hair' I know I was in hysterics and thought maybe I should share...

2 comments:
You chose wisely in sending that last pick out for all to enjoy!
I love McCall because the colors are so vivid!
No pillows would have meant no sleep and no fun for me- glad you're able to see the bright side!
We'll miss you this week! :( no art class! no piano! gasp! gasp!
Your camera is incredible. That pic of Zane and the beard is amazing!
Post a Comment