Monday, January 17, 2011

Beautiful Women

One of my sweet friends from D.U.P. died last week and I attended her funeral today. At 89, she was in the younger half of our group, as six of eleven of us are in their 90s. The service was very nice, with Esther's five children each paying a lovely tribute to their mother. It was one of those kinds of funerals that is not really so sad. She lived a nice, long life that was filled with simple pleasures; her children, her faith and her husband and friends. As is inevitable at a funeral, I found myself thinking ahead to my own, and wondering what kinds of summaries of my life would be given. It was so nice to hear Esther's children gush about her and how they knew that they came first in her life. I found myself a little more gentle with my own kids tonight. I don't want them to remember a mommy who was always rushed and preoccupied with the business of daily life that I often find myself wrapped up in.


Yesterday in our Sunday School class we watched a video about the birth of Christ. The woman sitting directly behind me is getting on in her years, and is, for the most part, blind. The woman sitting next to her, Beryl, is also elderly, and recently celebrated her 90th birthday. As the room darkened and quieted while we watched the beautiful scenes, Beryl, without being asked, began narrating the movie for her friend. It was one of the sweetest things I have ever heard. She described the animals, Mary on the donkey, the look on Joseph's face and what the shepherds were doing. I knew Beryl was lovely before yesterday, but I officially want to be like her when I am 90.


My mom and I have been planning a baby shower for my little sister. I have been amazed at how many women are very nearly as excited about it as I am. So many ladies are rooting for this pregnancy and buying and making things for Carly and the new baby. Not a day goes by that I don't get asked how Carly is doing.


At the funeral today, one of my good friends was there and we were surprised to see each other. Turns out she is the Visiting Teacher for one of Esther's daughters, and was there to support her. I thought a lot today about how lucky I am to know so many women who care for and inspire each other. I am a lucky gal, that is for sure.

3 comments:

Written by Jill and/or Dan said...

I was sitting by Beryl and Afton and I agree, it was the sweetest moment, ever. There is a lot to be learned from women like these, and your dear friend Esther.

jayna said...

I love this post about so many lovely women being observed in daily life! Thanks for sharing!!

Carly G. said...

So sweet! Thanks for being such a great support during this pregnancy. Your friends care about me because YOU care about me.
You're the best!