Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Meet the Rasheeds!

As you all know, Zane's brother Layden is in Baghdad until next summer. He performs a wonderful and, I'm sure, exhausting, service as a military chaplain. He not only has to stay physically safe himself, but he has to keep his soldiers mentally, emotionally and spiritually uplifted in the midst of their job. He is good at what he does and they are lucky to have him there! (If any of you ever want to write letters or make a care package for him and his battalion--it's a fun FHE project--let me know, and I'll get you his address.)
A few weeks ago Layden sent us an e-mail and told us that one of the men who translates for him actually lives in Boise and would be getting in touch with us. So last night we went to the home of Mohammad Rasheed for Iraqi food! It was really cool, and they are a really nice family. Their son has lived here since he was three and is fluent in English and Iraqi. We ate lamb, skishkabob (sp??) chicken, Jasmine rice with almonds and mint, eggplant and green pepper soup, and a few random things of uncertain identity and origin...
Our kids were troopers and tried all the new stuff, and we had a good conversation about religion after we had to tell them we didn't drink tea or coffee, which they offered after dinner. They told us things about the Muslim religion that I didn't know and it was cool to merge, at least for one evening, with a different culture.
One other cool bonus--we actually had Aljazeera on tv in the background the whole time! Weird!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Wils face in the picture :-) Thanks for the mountain lion picture...I will think of it the next time my kids ar out in the pool!

Carly G. said...

That rice sounds so yummy!