Wednesday, August 27, 2008

August 27th




Today is the 25th anniversary of Dad's death. How long ago that sounds, yet how recent it seems. This has been the defining event of my life in learning how to have trust in Heavenly Father and believing in His wisdom while asking the questions--why would this have happened to a young family, why so suddenly and without warning, why, why... And then I think about all of our families now, and how none of us would have met Justin, Zane, Levi or Stephanie if we hadn't moved, and how none of us would have ever had to think so long and hard about why bad things happen to good people, and then come to the conclusion that while life is hard, our Father in Heaven knows us and loves us. I can't read D&C Section 138 (especially verses 30-35) without knowing that Dad was chosen to leave this mortal life earlier than we think he should have because the Lord needed him. I know that he loved the gospel, and is now a missionary. And can't you picture him, with that big smile, and the ability to love even those who don't seem love-able, testifying to those who didn't get the chance to accept the gospel in their earthly life? And I think that if he could talk to us, he would tell us to not be sad today, but to look forward to our life with him and each other in the future. I know he would ask us to love each other and love our fellow men the way the Savior did.

When Wilson was almost two weeks overdue, and I had tried every trick in the book to get my labor started, I was so frustrated and tired and uncomfortable. One morning I knelt down and just cried, asking Heavenly Father to let this physical discomfort be over when I had a very strong and clear impression that Wilson was busy, and not quite finished with his work where he was. I was given the answer that he would be there as soon as he could. I felt very close to Dad that day, and thought that maybe Wils and Dad were doing some heavy-duty missionary work!

Well, have a good day everybody--and let's honor Dad's memory by doing something kind for someone who we might not notice otherwise.

Love,
Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

I woke up yesterday and thought about how it had been 25 years since We got that memorabe phone call from your mom. I meant to say something to you all yesterday and I forgot. wonderful thoughts about your dad, my favorite brother in law.