Thursday, March 12, 2009

How Far Would You Go...

...to make nine 4 year-olds absolutely manic with giddiness and joy on St. Patrick's Day? Every year for preschool I do a lot of fun stuff for St. Paddy's day. I personally love this holiday, and am glad I have preschool as an extra excuse to celebrate it. So, part of the fun is when the gold chocolate coins that the leprechauns bring start showing up--in the cups of crayons, under the cups at snacktime, etc etc. The kids work themselves into a frenzy trying to figure out when and how the little green men did it without them seeing. (One year, one of the little boys actually "saw" a leprechaun running out of the room and that particular kid became an instant preschool celebrity!)
Last night I stopped by WinCo to hit the bulk food section where the gold coins are. I always walk away with a huge bag full of them, enough for preschool and my own kids, who are equally crazed in their hunt for gold coins before school every year on the 17th. (Eliza stopped believing in Santa before she stopped believing in Leprechauns...no lie) Well last night I walked up to the bin and there were...SILVER coins. The label on the bin even said "Gold Coins", but they were most definitely SILVER. All I could think of was, "No WinCo, leprechauns don't bring SILVER coins, it's gotta be gold!" I can't have SILVER coins show up. The kids would never fall for it. They would know that the Irish aren't bucking hundreds of years of tradition and suddenly producing a pot of SILVER at the end of the rainbow!
Then I spied the smallest piece of gold foil and dug for it. The whole bottom layer of coins was gold! I started digging through, scraping the bottom of the barrel (literally--I have raw knuckles to prove it) and plucking out gold coins one at a time. I bet I was there for ten minutes searching and digging to get my stash. Task completed. Nothing is too much for my sweet preschoolers.
Yeah, so if you go to WinCo for gold coins, they're gone. (Unless they have replenished the supply--in which case, I don't want to know about it). Oh, and also--they have raised the prices on these babies. If you think you can come away with a big bag for a few bucks? Forget it--these things are almost $7.00/pound now. (Shouldn't I be buying dried blueberries or almonds for my family for that price instead??)

6 comments:

LaurieJ said...

Silver? That's just stupid.

Mom has got Kate all worked up about making the day fun. She can't wait! And my kids all believed in the little people way past Santa too :-)

jayna said...

We, the parents of said preschoolers, salute you.

Thanks for making all of our children's wildest St. patrick's day dreams come true!!

Tonia Z said...

I would go that far... :D but I'm part Grandma Toni (Gardner), so that goes without saying. I'll have to remember to do the leprechaun thing with my youngest while I still have the chance.

grandma K said...

I got my gold cons a while ago. Kate and I are getting up EARLY on the 17th and are going to do some fun stuff. Make sure she gets to bed early the 16th, Laurie!

Anonymous said...

good for you Heather. Many a night I have been out late searching the stores for something to complete my curriculum "theme" those are the days those kids will remember!

m@ryjo said...

Which is worse... silver or green metalic? The head leprechaun assigned to the Tanner household screwed up and somehow ordered green metalic coins instead of gold ones. I'm just hoping the kids buy the story about how the gold turned green just for this day... that's feasible, right?