Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Grandpa and Easter Island

Have you ever studied in history about cultures who had more free time than others? Archeologists will know this because the artifacts will be more elaborate and artsy than of their counterparts, who were just barely surviving. So a bowl from one culture might be rough and ugly, and barely a bowl, while another might be perfectly formed with carvings or painting on it. One group of people was better off and had more time to be creative.


So I read today in the news that a couple has decided to not let anybody know their baby's gender because they don't want people to make judgements about their child based on that little tidbit of information. They said, "...parents make so many choices for their children. It's obnoxious."


Um.... That seems like a lot of work.


So you see what I'm saying? The people on Easter Island built enormous statues with their free time; in our culture we spend time going to great lengths to hide a child's gender so we can let them decide who they want to be (the parents' words, not mine) with our free time.

So what does this have to do with my Grandpa Jennings' 85th birthday today? My Grandpa is from a generation who, at least early in their lives, didn't have much free time. They worked hard. They didn't have a lot, and spent their time working for what they needed. My Grandpa told me that when he was young he had a toothache and spent the entire day getting to a town about 30 miles away to get to a dentist who could take care of his tooth. It cost a couple of dollars, of which my Grandpa only had part, so he had to return to pay later. They had equipment and animals that had to be taken care of and food that had to be grown and made. Not a whole lot of free time.


I think that this kind of life would make you practical, logical and not very tolerant of people who want to publicize their decision to let their child choose his/her own gender-ness. I wonder what my Grandpa would say if I told him about this little liberated gender-free baby. I imagine that at least one word like horsesh*# would be included in his response.

4 comments:

Susan said...

LOVED IT!!!! THE WHOLE ENITRE THING!

Anonymous said...

That is so true! I can just hear Grandpa Jennings telling you that story and not mincing his words. That generation lived and worked hard. They didn't have time for nonsense!

LaurieJ said...

He would probably have an awesome comment that might rival his view on Brokeback Mountain- 'They WEREN'T cowboys. They were damn sheepherders.'

Roxanne said...

LOVE this! Somewhat related, I took your suggestion and read Little Heathens. It was great and so interesting to read about such hardworking folks- probably much like your grandpa. (Not related- I also read The Book Thief. Excellent. Keep your book suggestions coming!)