Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Vacation: Day 1


This is what it normally sounds like when I grocery shop:

".....................................................................................Are you finding everything you need?"
"Yes, thank you."
"......................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................That will be $78.35, please."


This is what is sounded like today:

"Mom, can I get one of these tiny bottles of soda? Please? They're only 32 cents!"
"Eliza stop PUSHING me!" "I'm NOT PUSHING YOU!"
"Mom, we HAVE to get a watermelon!"
"Mom, look at me!" (I turn to see Wilson wearing the styrofoam cover for Asian Pears on his arms like sweatbands)
"Mom, there should be a Project Runway grocery episode. Like, the onion skins could be part of the dresses..."
"What the heck is an Acorn squash?"
"Mom, look at that girl---see that girl? That's how I want my bangs."
"Mom, isn't it weird how red peppers are full of air? How does the oxygen get in there?"
"Mom, you said you weren't going to drink Pepsi anymore!"

Then I see my friend Lori with her two boys climbing all over her cart and we briefly chat. She has a half-crazed smile and wild eyes that tells me she is used to a quieter shopping trip as well. I continue on:

"Can we please get goldfish crackers?"
"Can I please get a TV dinner?"
"Look at this lemon! It looks like Grandpa Lemon. Hi, I'm Grandpa Lemon!"

At the checkout stand I hear Lori's voice:
"Boys! Stop it!"
"Boys, leave that alone"
"That's three!"


But I love the first day of summer vacation. I am with my kids, which happens to be my favorite thing in the whole world. And I won the 'guess the total grocery bill' game I can only play when Eliza and Wilson are with me. I guessed $97.25. Eliza guessed $102. It was $95.67.

Which is about $21.00 more than I normally spend. Because I don't normally buy goldfish crackers, TV dinners and giant watermelons.


2 comments:

Written by Jill and/or Dan said...

Go at 6:00 AM. It's well worth the loss of sleep! I was at Winco this morning @ 6 and it was empty. So awesome and peaceful.

This post cracked me up. I can relate.

jayna said...

I'm confused about the part where you take your old-enough-to-stay-home-kids with you to the store! :)

It was funny though!