Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Me and Barack are, like, soooo lame

A few days ago I watched an interview of Barack and Michelle Obama and they told a story about taking their kids to school the day after the election. They said they walked into the classroom of their oldest daughter and everyone in the room stood and clapped while they walked to her desk. After this touching moment their daughter looked up at them and said, "Well that was embarassing!" I got a little laugh out of that--the man who just won the office of the most important job in the world was lame to his tween daughter.

Yesterday Eliza and I were in the bagel store line and there was a Ramones song on the radio. I fell in love with this band when I was in Jr. High and they were my very favorite for years and years. I still listen to them when I clean the house. I was feeling pretty cool--I mean, how many 36 year-old moms know punk songs by heart? That's cool, right?? So I was singing along, not too loud, of course, and Eliza looked around at all the other people, then at me, and said quietly, "Mom you're so embarassing".

I guess I knew that kind of shut-down from your child was inevitable but I didn't realize how soon, and I didn't realize that it would happen in a moment where I really did think I was hip! It is a sad day for this Mommy!

2 comments:

Carly G. said...

Aaagh! I can't believe you got dissed by your daughter because you were singing the Ramones! Captain and Tenille or the Carpenters I can understand, but The Ramones??
Someday she'll realize how cool you are....probably the day she asks for Siouxsie and the Banshee's greatest hits CD.

grandma K said...

Just wait until she walks 10 steps behind you at the mall. PS, THANKS FOR SPOILING ME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!