Friday, September 17, 2010

Foothills, Not Whiskey

This morning I needed a happy fix. Being as I'm a Mormon gal, I couldn't very well hit the liquor closet, which is what I figure a lot of people do when they have had it up to *here* with things. But when I had to face this day knowing that I would be scheduling a hysterectomy for myself, seeing Sarah Palin on TV "not campaigning" in Iowa, having the song Wake Up Little Suzie in my head for the third day in a row, AND finding out that Fred Meyer raised their prices on Nanaimo Bars...well, you see, I had to do something to clear my head.



So I went hiking on one of my favorite trails. The vegetation has dried out and the sage brush is so fragrant in the hot sun. I love running my hands along the silver leaves and then breathing in the smell of desert. This particular trail is too hard for most mountain bikers and kind of out of the way for hikers so there aren't ever very many people on it. This always leaves me with the feeling that I am being at least watched by wild animals. There are mammoth boulders all along this trail and although I haven't ever seen one, I always imagine a big, sleek mountain lion peering over the top of one of them thinking that I look like an easy target with my iPod blasting and my gimpy knee...Today though, I did see lots of lizards, a cute little bunny rabbit and two coyotes who didn't even know I existed. I am so lucky to live somewhere like this--where I can be emptying my head of yucky thoughts and filling it back up with good stuff in less than three minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful! Good for you...we all need a little getaway. Btw, I agree with you on the Sarah palin thing...could she be anymore annoying?

grandma K said...

I think hiking in the mountains is much better than hitting the liquor cabinet!! Lucky to have that in your back yard.

jayna said...

I have a story for you when I see you on Weds.!

And, you are awesome.