My preschool class came today for the first day of their school year. They are darling. Eight little people who are still impressed with everything and who love having stories read to them. They are still young enough to talk to themselves and give hugs without thinking twice, but old enough to 'get' funny things and to internalize new social experiences every day. They make me so happy.
Unless my Fairy Godmother shows up and produces a building that is licensed for child care, owned by people who have a philosophy of teaching similar to mine, and that has an empty room ready for me to lease, this will be my last year running my own school. It depressed me to think of not starting September with new pencils and a curriculum that includes topics such as apples, fall leaves and sunflowers.
If I could control the universe, I would be teaching right here:
Unless my Fairy Godmother shows up and produces a building that is licensed for child care, owned by people who have a philosophy of teaching similar to mine, and that has an empty room ready for me to lease, this will be my last year running my own school. It depressed me to think of not starting September with new pencils and a curriculum that includes topics such as apples, fall leaves and sunflowers.
If I could control the universe, I would be teaching right here:

I would walk with my own children to school everyday, (a la Laura and Mary Ingalls) and spend my day with them and their friends learning the three Rs. Then we would walk home, pick some veggies out of our garden, make some bread to go with our soup and then read books and play board games until bedtime.
Funny thing is, I do walk my kids to and from their school, but instead of staying there with them I get to go hiking, organize our house/dinner menu/life and read blogs. I did have a vegetable garden this year until I got tired of watching it fail and pulled it out in July. We do read books together every night, but many of our board game experiences end badly, with accusations of cheating, hitting and/or tears and lectures from one or both parents about the virtues of being a good sport.
*sigh*
Anyway, if anybody knows of a little red schoolhouse that wants to be filled with happy four year-olds next year, let me know.
2 comments:
I blame you and your idyllic blog post for the conversation I'm going to have with Tyler tonight about constructing a cute one-room-red-barn-school nestled into our trees. If that's the only way I can get Lila into your care next year, we just might HAVE to do it... :)
I thought I wouldn't be sad this September (since its my 2nd year not teaching) but, I felt such a tug at my heart on the first day of school picturing those little ones walking to their new desks with their crisp, too large uniforms and new backpacks! You will always be a teacher Heather...it never leaves you no matter what else you do.
Post a Comment