My baby sister is just about to have a baby. The little lass isn't supposed to come for another month, but the nurse says that Carly is di-a-lating. She said that Carly is between a three and a four. Now when I was between a three and a four with both of my labors, I was screaming like a banshee and then gave birth within three hours. So this just goes to show how different every woman's experience is.
So I have had this new baby on my mind 24/7 and, of course, my own kids are on my mind 24/7, and then today I learned that somebody was MEAN to my seven year-old niece, who happens to be the happiest, funniest, sweetest, sunny-est girl ever born on this green earth.
.

Kate--in the pink shirt. You can easily see why her nickname is Little Miss Sunshine
.
Hearing that somebody made her feel bad made my blood boil. It's a good thing that I don't live where she does because I don't think I could keep myself from driving to the meany's house and letting her and her parents have it. Honestly.
And that is when I remembered how I turned into a crazy person when I became a mother. I never knew I had such primal instincts---the kind that make animals kill to protect their young. I remember, when Eliza was six weeks old, watching the news reports from the horrible day at Columbine High School. I watched on TV as a father pulled up in his car, jumped out and took off at a dead run toward the school. It was the first time I realized that people might still think of their teenagers as their babies. I thought of how he had raised that girl from infancy and that on that day somebody tried to hurt her. This is how I felt:

So Carly, before this little girl comes, try very hard to understand your primal instincts, and how to temper them with wise words from President Hinckley and the New Testament---you know, like turning the other cheek, believing that forgiveness is a virtue, and just plain being nice---beacuse the first time some kid on the playground tells your daughter that she isn't a good soccer player, or that her clothes are ugly...well, you may be tempted to get ugly too!
4 comments:
Great post!
Thanks Heather! I was ready to drive my nine month pregnant butt down to Utah to kick a little seven year old girl in the shins for making fun of Kate, so I can definitely understand the mamabear mentality!
Awesome insights. And so very true.
It's also a primal urge to eat your babies. I'm surprised any of my girls made it past that deliciously chunky 9 month stage....
I was just thinking of how nice it is to know that so many awesome women have my kid's backs.
Mama bear will probably rear her primal head at soccer tonight.... or send Rachel to do it for me :-)
Post a Comment