Thursday, April 28, 2011

End of April

Are you panicking that it is the end of April like I am? Shouldn't it be warm and sunny and shouldn't I have spent a lot of time in the yard by now? Turns out, the only thing that the end of April brings is another birthday for Zane and me and the hope of heat and sunshine. Oh, and it also marks the time of year when Wilson's pants hover right above his ankles. It's not time to wear shorts yet (he thinks) but those pants that he was swimming in nine months ago are ready to find a new home.




Wilson with leftover (short) school pants that turned into camping pants and the birthday boy, lounging away in Stanley last summer.


Today is Zane's birthday. I am making his favorite cookies---oatmeal raisin with walnuts---because I never make them and he loves, loves, loves them. Loves them more than other things that I won't admit on his behalf here. He is also getting a big pot of black beans and brown rice. That might not sound very exciting for a birthday present, but for Zane, it is. Here is the recipe. It's mighty good, and if I hadn't permanently erased any desire to eat black beans by eating many a certain burrito that I was addicted to when I had morning sickness with Eliza, then I would be joining him for dinner. Actually, another birthday present for him would probably be to eat all by himself with nobody complaining about the food or poking their sibling *ahem* with their knife, fork or spoon. Happy Birthday, Zane!


Zane's Birthday Beans


1 1/2 TB Olive Oil

1 large Garlic Clove, minced

1 small Onion, chopped

15 oz can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)

2 TB Tomato Sauce

1 tsp dry oregano

1 tsp chili powder

1 small Jalapeno, seeded and chopped

-or-

1/2 small can of hot green chiles

a few splashes Hot Sauce

1 cup Corn Kernals

salt and pepper to taste


Heat oil in small sauce pan on med/low heat. Add onions and garlic. Simmer until soft, about 7 minutes. Add beans and 1/4 cup water, and remaining ingredients. Simmer 10-12 minutes. Add 1-2 cups cooked brown rice and stir together.


1 comment:

jayna said...

Oh I laughed about the pants- had that exact situation with Grace!! (We're just going the skirt/tight route until warm weather decides to grace us with its presence!) :)