The kiddos had particularly challenging homework today and try as I might, I only went one for two. Wilson is learning about Apollonius (of Perga, lest you confuse him with one of the other Apollonius-es) and his never-ending circles, and Eliza is learning how to deconstruct literature, write, and cite sources. So the problem was obvious: Wilson had math-ish homework and Eliza had English-ish homework.
My knowledge of ancient Greek mathmeticians begins and ends with the Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land cartoon, so after spending over an hour helping Wilson try to make a perfect Apollonian Gasket, I totally gave up in frustration. Even after consulting the math wizard across the street and borrowing his fancy compass, I totally failed. I am worried that I might be tainting math for Wilson, who actually loves math-y things like chess and maps and things-which-must-be-perfect.
I don't like perfect, per se. I like things that are ok with various kinds of perfect. Like words. You can interchange words and still come out with a darn nice piece of writing. If I am trying to convey what math problems do to the flow of my rational thoughts, I could say obstruct or impede. Both are lovely words which make their point. If I am describing Jason Varitek's value to the Red Sox, and why they should re-sign him I could use many different words such as enduring, infinite or immense. All those words are good. There isn't just ONE ANSWER. There isn't just ONE WAY to make it right. I almost lost my mind over three tangent circles this afternoon. Almost WENT CRAZY.
Now take Eliza's homework. While challenging, it was nice. It involved creative writing and looking for different ways to describe things and articulate those findings. Ahhhh. Words that make sense to me. Like using the word generations to describe parts of a family instead of circles of decreasing size. My kind of homework. (And I love hearing her summary of the characters in 'And Then There Were None': "And this one guy killed another guy because he was crushing on his wife")
My strongest feeling at the end of this day is gratitude for Wikipedia and Google. Without them, I would have absolutely no value as a helper, tutor, teacher, mentor, or whatever for Wilson and the left side of his brain.

1 comment:
Oh this made me laugh because I'm the same way! Grace was doing big-number addition and I had to sneak the calculator just to check her answers...it's a handicap I tell you! I'm un-mathable!
Post a Comment