
I agree with you, Laurie, on welcoming Autumn! I love the cold mornings and the crisp winds. My Sedum plants are turning pink and I had a strong urge to make Park City Stew in the crockpot today. (Yes, I obeyed the urge!)
I always know summer is over when it's time to start canning. I did 21 quarts of peaches yesterday (and only broke one jar!) and the yummy, chunky applesauce that we all crave will be in a couple of weeks. When we lived in Seattle Zane and I would pick loads of wild blackberries that grew around our neighborhood and make jam. Ever since then I have had trouble buying fruit to make into anything. (Note to self: plant the strawberry and raspberry plants next year that I have been promising myself) Eliza and I are the only ones in our family who love bottled cherries. When we lived in Springville and had a cherry tree Zane looked at me like I was crazy when I got out my jars the first week of July. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I loooove the juice left in the bottom of the bowl after eating them!
I always know summer is over when it's time to start canning. I did 21 quarts of peaches yesterday (and only broke one jar!) and the yummy, chunky applesauce that we all crave will be in a couple of weeks. When we lived in Seattle Zane and I would pick loads of wild blackberries that grew around our neighborhood and make jam. Ever since then I have had trouble buying fruit to make into anything. (Note to self: plant the strawberry and raspberry plants next year that I have been promising myself) Eliza and I are the only ones in our family who love bottled cherries. When we lived in Springville and had a cherry tree Zane looked at me like I was crazy when I got out my jars the first week of July. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I loooove the juice left in the bottom of the bowl after eating them!
I love feeding my family fruit all year that I bottle. I love knowing exactly where it came from, and knowing that it isn't pumped full of high fructose corn syrup and other junk. I love looking at all of the jars on my basement shelves and feeling a little like we hunkering down for the winter. Bring on the snow!
1 comment:
I am going to start calling you Ma :-)
Bottled cherries are the only acceptable way to eat a cherry
Post a Comment