I usually mark the beginning of October as the time that the Christmas flood gates open, so to speak. This is when I actually ask the kids what they want Santa to bring them, we spend a Saturday afternoon at the coolest toy store ever, The Children's Store, and...we start buying stuff.This is mainly due to me and my desire to have everything In Order by Thanksgiving. (Also, having to get Layden's and Sarah's goodies mailed off to their APO address by the middle of October is a great motivator!) I like to have lots and lots of time to pick the perfect present for everyone on my list, and I really do have to force myself to wait until the summer is winding down to make my Christmas shopping list. (Perhaps this is because of our annual trip to Redfish Lake the first week of August, where Christmas shopping starts in the general store!) Then, on Thanksgiving day, I can relax, knowing that my shopping is completed. Anything else--any other cool find, or fun trip to the mall, is on purpose and not out of desperation. December is then only for watching the Christmas Story, going to parties and making daisy chains to count down to the big day.
Let the fun begin!
3 comments:
The years that I haven't worked retail have always been my favorite years for Christmas....I wonder why :)
I tried to do my shopping early a couple of years ago and all I ended up doing was spending twice as much! I get in the mood to shop with all of the lights and if it is actually snowing outside
I get so busy that I forget to plan ahead so thanks for the reminder. steph
Post a Comment