Dad and GrandpaMy dad would have been 65 today. Would he have been celebrating his retirement? I doubt it. Not if he was anything like his father, who only retired a handful of years ago, when his body wouldn't let him do hard work anymore. I always thought it was cool that the two of us were both born under the Taurus sign. He was born on Mother's Day, and for a long time, I thought his birthday was also Mother's Day. My grandma told me about becoming a mother on that day in 1945. It was the end of World War II. She had just turned 18 years old, and her husband, a year older, was at sea with the Merchant Marines. He wouldn't see his son until three months later. Grandpa told me that they had decided if the baby was a boy they would name him Norman. After he left for the war, he saw a movie and in the credits was somebody named Gordon. He liked it, and sent Grandma a telegram and told her to use that name instead. I like Gordon better than Norman, don't you?
I would write about how I wish I could give him a birthday hug or make a cake, but I'd start crying all over the keyboard.

4 comments:
wow, that still seems like yesterday. Merle looks so much like Jason (Gardner) and his brothers.
Can you imagine the someday hug? I can't wait :-)
I always thought he was born on Mothers day too. I hated that picture because I looked about 50(I thought)na dit wasn'tgood of Gordon, but since it was the last one, I was glad for it. It sure has been a long time since he died.....
Oh, I just re-read the post and I see that you thought his birthday was on Mothers day every year.. I am SO glad his name ewasn't Norman.
Post a Comment