I yelled at my daughter before 8:00 in the morning. She wouldn't give me a hug when I dropped her off at school. The egg I cracked for breakfast was rotten and I had to sprint out of the kitchen, gagging and shuddering and vowing to never eat eggs again. I always eat eggs for breakfast. After eating really well and working out *a lot* this week I weighed myself. I gained two and a half pounds. My preschool kids fought over the Legos. They never fight over the Legos.
It was shaping up to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
I made chicken pot pie for dinner. "I hate chicken pot pie", Wilson said. At Target, I spent too much money. I didn't mean to spend too much money. I meant to bring a book and sit at Eliza's dance class, reading for two hours. I forgot my book and thought I'd go run an errand instead. My list said batteries, sun screen, sidewalk chalk, Armor-All and dryer sheets. That's not all that I came out of Target with. I missed the deadline for signing Eliza up for her much-anticipated summer class at the zoo. It's full, the zoo people said. No exceptions, they said. My sister, whom I adore, had planned to come to Boise with her five darling children for a long weekend. We were giddy with anticipation! Instead, she decided to stay home and celebrate her fifteenth wedding anniversary with her husband. Stupid anniversary.
It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
It rained really hard all night and made mud soup of my tiny carrot and green onion seeds in the garden. One of my piano students got mouthy. They never get mouthy. I left my running shoes out in the rain, the cat vomited on my bedroom floor and I'm terribly worried about this woman.
I thought about my first refuge when I'm overwhelmed. The one where I never got married, had children or became part of society. The one where I live in a cave in the mountains of northern Montana, throw rocks at anybody who comes near, and only emerge from the woods when I need to stock up on canned goods and toilet paper. I thought about why it might be that everyone I know has a tidy house and mine perpetually looks like the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Or why, for a stay-at-home mom with "just" two kids, I can't manage to keep it all together.
It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. There's no getting around it.
6 comments:
Your house is ALWAYS tidy!! You're my inspiration to keep my house clean!
Seriously, I'm sorry you had a bad day. I tried calling you a few times to invite you on the walk to Barber Park. Maybe tomorrow night we could do that and a movie at my place.
What a crappy day. Hopefully today will be better (but that's questionable since she-who-must-not-be-named is in town. You can pay $1000 for a photo with her. I'm not making that up. $1000....
I'm Sorry! What a S*%$$@ day. I hate those.
We will get up there. We need to get up there!
P.S if you find a nice area with a neighboring cave, let me in on the purchase
I have ONE at home and share your thoughts on that one. Sorry you had a bad day.
Do you want to come over and sit on a pile of rubble and cry with me? Or hopefully things are much, MUCH better for you today!
p.s. you are loved and admired and respected. if that helps.
"Some days are like that."
You're great Heather, we love you.
I'm sorry about your day Heather, I loved this post though; honest, funny, real! We can all relate!
Post a Comment