Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Mother's Day was a compilation of many complicated emotions and events. Our very favorite neighbors moved and we feel like someone died. They just moved up the hill a mile or so, but as far as next-door neighbor spontaneity and a borrow-a-cup-of-sugar relationship, they might as well have moved to Timbuktu. (big frowny face) Funny thing is, before they left, Miss Molly said, "Heather what are you going to do when you need to borrow cocoa on Sunday?" I laughed because I hadn't realized she noticed that it was always on the Sabbath that I borrowed baking supplies. (smiley face) Our new neighbors moved in yesterday. They are already good friends and Chellie celebrated her very first Mother's Day today with chubby Henry. We are looking forward to future friendship and lounging-in-Adirondack-chair days with them. (smiley face)
Zane is with his mother this weekend. She is not well. Really, really not well. He is sad, stressed, tired, frustrated, confused and overwhelmed. (frowny face) She needs to be closer to us and has, after fifteen years of begging, consented to make the move. (smiley face) Lots of changes ahead.

My darling children filled my heart today. I awoke to their sweet cuddles in my bed and then got to open the cute presents they made for me in school. Those are always my favorite. My husband, who some time ago learned The Hard Way the importance of making a big deal out of Mother's Day, came through like a champ. He shopped for and hid a present for the kids to give me today. I got the coolest blender ever. (big smiley face) Not long after the blender was opened, Box Man was born.

Even Box Man needs a good breakfast

I spoke in church today about motherhood. Eliza and Wilson were perfect angels, sitting all by themselves on the bench. They even sang the hymns. Eliza gave a cute talk in primary about generations of mothers in our family and things they learned from each other. It was so nice and she looked so grown up. (smiley face)
Ate the *best* lunch with my girlfriend (who also had an absentee husband) and her kids. The BT cake I made for her birthday turned out perfectly. (big chocolate smiley face)
I missed my mommy today! I wanted to have her in my kitchen, making something yummy, and then sitting on the couch with her reading glasses, working on a crossword puzzle. Maybe next year. She was somewhere else important today.
The Sox managed to keep from being swept by NY. Phew. Maybe it was their pink Mother's Day/Breast Cancer bats. Who cares. They won. Finally.

Happy Mother's Day to all the awesome mommies in our life. You are loved and appreciated!

6 comments:

LaurieJ said...

I miss that cute E and the Box man! I can't wait to hear how your talk and Zane's visit went.
Happy mother's Day to an awesome mom!

Carly G. said...

Very cute! I love the Box Man pictures and I'm proud of Eliza giving that talk! Surely this isn't the same girl that would shrink if anyone even looked at her :)
Love you and hope you had a great mom's day!

Anonymous said...

Box man is the best! I miss having a child young enough to do that kind of "activity". Good mom for taking care of your family with your husband gone and preparing two talks for Sunday. Tell Zane to give Curt a call if he needs someone to complain to about the difficult mother situations.

jayna said...

Wow- you guys had a lot going on! Happy Mothers Day to you...for all the mothering of OTHER people's kids you do, I for one appreciate it mucho!

grandma K said...

I missed you and thought about you many times on Mother's Day! Hope things turn out for Theresa. Love box man and grown up E. In church my mom was saying she wished we could have heard Eliza's talk . I don't know if she knew you talked too. I'll bet you did a great job!

Megan Marie said...

Box man cracked me up1 Happy late Mother's Day, I'm loving reading your blog!