Sunday, October 5, 2008

Blessed Are The Peacemakers

I love General Conference. As I grow older, I find myself wishing that I could have more than the eight hours of listening to the leaders of the church. I try to make it a special weekend for my kids, in the hopes that they too will always feel the spirit in their hearts when they hear the voices over the pulpit, even if they don't understand everything right now. They do always surprise me, though, when they make comments about talks that I thought were over their heads.

Today as I listened to President Eyring speak about unity, and being peacemakers, I knew that this was one for me. He spoke about searching for common ground with others and realizing that the truths we share are always more important than our differences. He said, "You can help yourselves and others to see that common ground if you ask for help from God, and then act. He will answer your prayer to help restore peace.”

So I have resolved to try and be more of a peacemaker, and to be more positively united with others. I will watch my critical words around the house, and will stop posting pictures that make fun of Sarah Palin. I will try to stop rolling my eyes and will only gossip with a select few. (hee hee) I always want my family and friends to know that more than being interested in getting my points across, I love them.

I am grateful for conference, and for the spiritual boost I always get from these words of wisdom. Looking forward to April now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened to that talk this morning and loved it. I love that Elder Eyring wears his emotions on his sleeve.

grandma K said...

You can always gossip with me. Really, your thoughts and comments are great and you are a good example to me.