Earlier this year, while visiting my lovely friend Melissa, I found this wonderful book dryly titled, "Today I Will Nourish My Inner Martyr". At first I was snickering while flipping through the pages, but I stopped laughing when I realized that I DO LOTS OF THESE THINGS. I usually think of myself as emotionally stable, and fairly aware of my actions, but this brought new light to my own personal neuroses. So, I'm ashamed to admit, here are a few of my favorites.
-Today I will create a crisis situation so I can feel really alive.
-Extreme mood swings are my goal for the day, as they are so invigorating.
-While in conversations today, I will practice keeping a mental inventory of other people's stupidity.
-Today I will intentionally steal someone's thunder.
-One of my goals for the year will be complete independence from everyone, and on all levels.
-Today I will consciously repeat a destructive pattern from my past.
-Today I will pretend that everyone I see is judging me.
-Today I will play devil's advocate simply to annoy someone.
-Today I will expect others to anticipate my needs; I will get inappropriately angry if they fail to do so.
-Because I cannot get any closure from my childhood pain, I will use blame and resentment to liberate myself.
-When someone in my family hurts me, I will picture him or her inconsolably sobbing at my funeral.
And finally...
-I will make it a point to sigh heavily at certain times today, then deny anything is wrong when people ask.
2 comments:
I can laugh out loud while recognizing I do the majority of these things :-)
This is so funny. I can see myself so much in just what you wrote.
Post a Comment