This weekend, while in Utah, I had some strong feelings about family and our relationships. For those of you who don’t know already, I was there helping my Mom move out of her home into our Grandparents’ home. Scott, Laurie, Carly & Levi and Bonnie were there to help out during this hard time as well. On Friday we went to her old house to gather up the last few remaining belongings she wanted to take with her. The house was nearly empty, and without the warmth that one feels when you’re around Mom. It was the first time since the word “divorce” was uttered two weeks ago that I cried. My feelings were simple—divorce sucks. But I digress.
As we worked like busy ants, moving, painting, putting together new furniture, talking, laughing, crying, eating; I felt like I experienced as many emotions within a family that are possible in 48 hours. I thought about how each of us has unique talents as well as unique weaknesses. Some are good at keeping the peace, some are a little quick to take offense. All of us are really good at getting things done, and a few of us need to relax and enjoy life more. We are so different, yet have the same goals at the end of the day.
As we worked like busy ants, moving, painting, putting together new furniture, talking, laughing, crying, eating; I felt like I experienced as many emotions within a family that are possible in 48 hours. I thought about how each of us has unique talents as well as unique weaknesses. Some are good at keeping the peace, some are a little quick to take offense. All of us are really good at getting things done, and a few of us need to relax and enjoy life more. We are so different, yet have the same goals at the end of the day.
I think that having this week to reflect on the conference talks, and especially President Eyring’s discourse on being united, I felt strongly that I need to try and appreciate all these elements of everyone, and to be ok with the ones I don’t like. I think it would be wonderful if I could embrace and appreciate the good that each of us brings into this world, and try my best to ignore, or at least, tolerate lovingly, the less-desirable qualities. To assume that nobody is trying to hurt or offend me, and always be aware of the efforts of all.
I ran across this quote recently, from Benjamin Disraeli (British politician-turned writer) and it reminded me of the root of all this. “To love someone means to see him as God intended him."
So, on the heels of my goal to generally be a Nicer Person, I am going to work on living the Golden Rule better, and look at others the way I would like to be viewed—as someone who is trying her best, and hoping everyday that I’m nothing other than true to my faith in our Father in Heaven and the Savior, and to my belief that we are all His children, and are in this together.
Thanks, by the way, to my terrific family, for all the fun this weekend that could be had under the circumstances. I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment