Not too long ago, our family went three and a half years without health insurance. Job losses and the financial recovery from that kept us from having any kind of coverage. We were very blessed during that time, with no major illnesses whatsoever and no injuries. Every day we were aware of this, and grateful. We knew that we were having our prayers answered. Understand that I will always give credit where credit is due for that time, and that I am equally grateful to have insurance now, and enjoy that peace of mind.So when I spend the next few minutes complaining...well, you get it. Our family has had more doctor's visits in the last four months than the last fourteen years of my married life COMBINED. This is most definitely not an exaggeration. We have had ear infections, sinus infections, Orthodontist consultations, teeth extractions, teeth cleanings, cavity fillings, braces put on, blood work, physicals, x-rays, orthopaedic consultations, chiropractic visits, and even an MRI. Some days I feel like a switchboard operator, on the line with the insurance company, different offices, scheduling departments--yes, at St. Luke's you don't call the actual department with which you want an appointment, you speak with someone in a scheduling department. Someone who knows nothing about your situation except when they can get you in. I keep waiting for the secretary at the kids' school to interrupt me when I come in and ask to check them out and say, "I know, I know, a Doctor's appointment".
This is what I have learned. That good insurance is a blessing. That meeting a deductible is the best feeling ever. That insurance with a zero co-pay is lovely. That I don't know what mothers who work full time do to get their families to the doctor, and I have a greater appreciation for those who pull it all off. I have learned that Boise has a LOT of handsome, square-jaw, triathlete-ish docs. I have started putting on earrings and lipstick when we head out for an appointment. (Except my own physician, who reminds me of a badger, and usually has food spills on his tie. But I adore him, and like hearing him say the word, "Antibiotics". He says "an-tee-bee-otics".)
However, there is one thing that baffles me. And if anyone out there works or has worked in the medical industry and can enlighten me, please do. Why, oh why, do the nurses take you out of the waiting room, which is filled with toys, good magazines and other mothers to chat with, only to deposit you in the exam room which is sterile in every sense. No toys, no People magazine, no windows. Nothing. Only lots of things for my children to be interested in that they can't touch, and only my impatient anxiety demons to keep me company. I do not understand this torture. I can't tell you how many times I am checking the time every thirty seconds, and swearing under my breath that if I am waiting in this room three more minutes I am storming out and announcing to everyone that I am NEVER COMING BACK (unless my insurance doesn't cover anyone else), only to have a tall, handsome triathlete-ish doc come in and charm me off the ledge. Still, I don't see why I can't wait in the reception room with the toys.
5 comments:
You were so blessed during that time and now you are just maming up for it!
I always love when I miss a week of People & there it is unread in the waiting room :-)
First, it's called work flow. Now that most physician offices have an EMR (electronic medical record) with a way to track the patient thru the entire event, you are marked, in laymen's terms "in room" which in medical school doctors learn actually means "left comfortable waiting room without magazine." It's a rough translation from the one of the original med school books written in Greek. Only learned scholars know that the Hippocratic Oath really is about making patients uncomfortable in waiting rooms. There is an entire chapter on ambiguous gown design - "does it tie in front or back?"
Second, you are always allowed to bring anything found in the waiting room into the exam room with you, with the exception of the furniture, items from the aquarium or another persons' children.
OK, I need to get the name of your badger doctor because those young (Younger than me! I am that old? How did that happen!!!) handsome doctors make me nervous and I can't coherently explain my medical reason for being there anymore.
good one Zane! Heather, to hurry the doc up, let the kids tear the room apart - open drawers, tear the paper off the table, noisly take the lids off the q-tip canisters etc. Let them open and shut the door with a bang a few times. ha ha
Hi Heather--just can't get enough of the Colbys that I stalked you over from Andrea's blog! :)
Post a Comment