Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama

I am giddy about the inauguration today. I have been excited since election day for Obama to take office. I think he is a wonderful person and I am looking forward to his presidency. Everybody is talking about his being the first African-American president, and I think that is significant, and cool, but there are a few firsts for me with this election as well.
It is the first time that my husband has been older than the president. Craaaa-zy.
This was the first time during a campaign when I put a political bumper sticker on my car. For whatever that is worth. Actually, I had a lot of really good conversations (and a few ridiculously ignorant) because of my little "OBAMA" sticker. The conversations I remember the most are the ones where I was standing in the church parking lot trying my best to convince fellow church members that yes, you can be a Mormon and vote for a Democrat. Imagine that!
This was the first time that my vote counted! Ok, sort of. Boise went overwhelmingly for Obama, and pro-Obama Idahoans actually made a little tiny dent in the Republican reign. Previously, I have lived in the wrong place at the wrong time for my vote to count, according to the Electoral College. (Yes, Tyler Haws, I voted for George W. when we lived in Seattle eight years ago!) :)
Last, this is the first election where my kids were involved. Eliza was particularly interested in the process, and I think she grew up a lot, thinking about everything and learning to form her own opinions. She wrote a great paper for school, describing who she would vote for and why. I was proud of her thinking and writing.

Here's to a great four new years!

2 comments:

Carly G. said...

Woo Hoo!!!
Levi and I are still completely giddy!

Tonia Z said...

Yeah... imagine living in UTAH (Utah County, nonetheless), and teaching one block from "God's school" (aka BYU) and having to explain the Obama sticker on the back of my car. I don't know who was more aghast, some of my students, or some of my co-workers. It was a GREAT day, and I've been more impressed today as he has dome great things in his first day.