Friday, April 24, 2009

List of Appreciation

Thanksgiving is still 2/3 of a year away, but I decided to make a list of things I love--or at least just appreciate. I have been thinking about how I am quick to complain about a lot, but maybe not as consistent in expressing appreciation or gratitude. So here goes a little shout-out to the people who make my life better.
1. Teenage boys at the skate park who refrain from using bad language when my six year-old and his friends are playing, and paying attention to everything the big boys do and say.
2. My neighbors, who are all kind to and tolerant of each other.
3. Friends who see the value and logistic necessity of just stopping by and inviting me to the park or the bagel store instead of trying to make plans to go to the park or the bagel store.
4. The people who maintain the trails in the foothills.
5. My husband, who has a job that I don't understand except that it is mentally taxing. He never complains about it. I can tell how hard it was by whether or not he changes out of his work clothes before heading for an Excederin.
6. My siblings--for all their diversity and for their common values of love of family and faith.
7. Miley Cyrus. Yep, you read that right. For showing my blossoming tween daughter that it is cool to be happy, dress modestly and love your family.
8. Grandmas and grandpas, aunts and uncles, school teachers, primary teachers, t-ball coaches, dance instructors and the moms who volunteer at my kids' school. It really does take a village to raise good kids.
9. The parents of my preschool kids who are so generous and appreciative to me. It's why I can do what I do.
10. My kids--beautiful inside and out. Smart, funny, clever--everything I ever wanted.
And as I sit here thinking that I have probably left out something big and important, I want it to be publically known that I have a huge appreciation for everyone in my life who assumes I'm always trying my best and overlooks the times I forget, fall short and am just generally clueless!

3 comments:

Carly G. said...

This made my day! We should all be inspired to write the things we're thankful for. Thanks for this great post!

LaurieJ said...

You have these great people in your life because you are amazing and put so much effort into your relationships!

jayna said...

Does this apply to preschool parents who run late and sometimes forget to pay you?

If so, AWESOME!

(and it makes me appreciate YOU even more...!)