Sunday, April 12, 2009

Help...please!

For those who have passed the big 4-0 please tell me if senility and stupidity are part of the game, and something I should just embrace. I have found myself lately doing really, really dumb things. Things that are so dumb it scares me.

Just a sampling--today we got halfway to church before I realized that I hadn't put makeup on. That might not be a big deal to some, but I have never IN MY LIFE left my house without makeup on. (And yes, I did turn around, and we were ten minutes late). A few days ago I left the stovetop gas burner on my stove on while we were away for several hours. Hello! (Zane is going to croak when he reads this). Number three: The lightbulbs in our newly remodeled basement keep burning out way too frequently. Zane asked questions in an electrical store and came home to tell me that they suggested taking out the bulb and pulling the little "thing" down so that the bulb has a full connection (or something like that). So right then and there, I unscrewed the bulb and REACHED MY HAND INTO THE FIXTURE TO PULL OUT THE LITTLE "THING". Big shock. Literally, BIG SHOCK. I said a very bad word and fell to the floor in front of my family, clutching my poor finger. And speaking of burning, I recently incinerated a beautiful BT cake (an Allen family cardinal sin) and last week around, oh, say the 9th of the month, I found my house payment--in the stamped envelope, with a check sitting on my kitchen counter. Yeah, like everyone else's, it's due on the FIRST.


Why would I do these things? (And why on earth am I admitting them to you??). Am I just plain getting old? Have I overcommitted myself and am having a nervous breakdown? Is this karma for past, immoral and illegal behavior? (Just kidding, heh, heh, heh...)

Wish me luck this week, and hope that I don't cause serious and/or permanent injury to myself or my family.

3 comments:

jayna said...

I am SHOCKED by all of this. (reference intended.)

Because if these are symptoms of age, then despite being in my twenties, I have the mind of a 40 yr. old. Or 80 yr. old, because some of mine might be worse...

Dementia? I think it's a synonym for "Motherhood".

Tonia Z said...

WOW... this is ALL too familiar. SERIOUSLY!!! I told my hubby that next summer there is NO birthday celebration. Knowing that I am half way to 80 (thus HALF of my life has been spent) is not an easy thing to digest!

Anonymous said...

SO familiar...all of those things (I forget mascara at least once a week) here is my latest: got half way to school and looked down to see that I had two DIFFERENT brown shoes on! I had been deciding which would go better and then just "forgot" maybe its in our family genes...scary