Sixteen years ago my wonderful friend Melissa and I sat next to each other as missionaries in a church meeting in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Great talks were probably being given, (we thought that our Stake President would some day become at least one of the twelve apostles) and inspiring stories being told, but we missed them as we whispered and passed notes back and forth. We were compiling a list of things we would do together when we got home from our missions. (Don't get the wrong idea, I think we were both pretty darn good missionaries, it was just that whenever we got together we got giddy at the thought of being back home in Utah together doing non-missionary stuff like mountain biking and quilting.) Mountain biking and quilting were near the top of the list, but the biggest #1 item for both of us was to get married and have babies. I think we actually wrote it in upper case letters and underlined it several times. Something about spending our days teaching the gospel made it very clear in our minds what life was really about. Getting married and having babies. Ok, and also some church calling stuff and college degrees and whatnot.
I am so thankful to be a mother. All the cliches are true--my children are an extension of my heart. I don't know what I would do without my children. I love my husband even more because he is my children's father. I could go on and on. I love the cute presents my kids bring home from school for Mother's day. They make me get all weepy. I tell them that they will always be my babies even when they are forty-five and have their own babies, and they think I'm weird.
And yes, Melissa has her own wonderful kids too. Almost exactly the same ages as mine. Except she got brave and went for #3. She is an awesome mother. And quilter. And mountain biker.
What a great life motherhood is.
2 comments:
I just wanted to say ditto, and also to thank you for mothering my own child two days a week. It takes a special mother to mother someone else's kid! xoxoxo
Thank you! That brought back some wonderful memories! I am so grateful that we met the way we did. You have been such a great example to me! You have been the pioneer...I don't know what kind of mother I would be with out your example, advice, ideas, and listening ear. We did it...we are great mothers! I am sure we were listening, we are pretty good multi-taskers too!
Post a Comment