Monday, June 29, 2009

Wallowa Lake


Hell's Canyon Overlook














Beach comprised entirely of goose poop

Over the past three years we have made three different camping reservations at Wallowa Lake State Park in Oregon. Twice we had big things come up and had to cancel our trips. This time I had knee surgery a week and a half before our date. And, even more worrisome than that, I read a ridiculous book this year called The Shack, which is about a man who takes his children to WALLOWA LAKE, only to have his young daughter kidnapped and murdered by a creep who hides out in the woods near the campground. I had logged onto the RecreateAmerica website to cancel our reservation (for the third time) two chapters into the book when it was brought ot my attention that it was a work of (very bad) FICTION, and that I could stop breathing into a paper bag. I was still a little freaked out from the story, however, and even though I bravely (my word choice) made our camping trip this weekend my first big outing with my knee all dandy and new-ish, I still thought about kidnappers the entire three days. My children only think I let them out of my sight to shoot their sling shots and go to the bathroom. Despite these two dramatic diversions we made it.

All in all, it was a beautiful weekend with gorgeous, green, Oregon mountains and the cutest little town you have ever seen--Joseph--named for Chief Joseph, who happens to be buried there, at the head of Wallowa Lake (who knew?). I managed to find a quilting store and Zane got his first good sunburn of the year. We broke in a new tent and generally had a really great time.

No comments: