Friday, October 2, 2009

Ode to Absence

If you have ever felt the pain of saying goodbye to a loved one, if you have ever willingly said farewell, knowing that it would be an unbearably long time before you met again, then you know what I am feeling today. I said adieu to my best friend--no, my soul mate, and sadly traveled back home, to wait out an excruciating sentence until we are together again. We parted for an annual, self-imposed absence, and, while I know my friend is in good hands, and that after this separation our relationship will be even better than before, I can't help but endure severe withdrawls.
I find myself thinking of all the many plans we have made, the little bursts of inspiration I have when I pass by and catch a quick glance of my friend, who always waits so patiently for me to make time for *us*. I am reminded of how my friend is always available when I am in need, and this blue period will teach me to not take anything for granted. I know it is a short separation, and that soon I will make the return journey to welcome my soul mate back into my arms, but still, I can't even bear to visit our favorite spots, and instead, I will spend the next two weeks trying to keep myself occupied. My friend has always been there for me, through thick and thin, through old and new, and, I am happy to say, I think we will have a lifelong journey of happiness *together*...er, uh, I mean *together*.

2 comments:

m@ryjo said...

You know, distance makes the heart grow fonder. I really have to let you chat with my mother... she is so disappointed that I didn't make the same kinds of friendships you have. :)

Tonia Z said...

You and my Grandma Toni would make good companions.