Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fake Cookies

I gave in to this?? I feel so dirty...

I don't consider myself a real foodie, but I do take quite a bit of pride in my kitchen skills. I'm particularly snobby about cooking and baking from scratch. Tonight I had planned to make a big batch of the world's best sugar cookies shaped like pumpkins for my preschool class to decorate tomorrow. Well, one thing led to another, bath time for kids, dinner clean-up, watching the Phillies slap around the Yankees... Pretty soon it was 9:00 and I was too tired to make the cookies. I confided in Zane that I *almost* felt like just running to the store and buying a package of the pre-made cookie dough. As if! For how crazy of an idea that is, I might as well have said I was going out for a pack of smokes. But to my surprise, he thought that was a good idea (silly husband, doesn't get the importance of really good baking), and encouraged me to just...do...it. I thought about it like I was considering cheating on a test. Should I? Really?? Could I get away with it? What if someone who isn't four years old wants a bite?? I would be exposed as a domestic fraud! But, I had to remind myself that this is my Year of No. My year that I have put an end to doing involved and complicated things because I think I should. My year to turn down past traditions without any guilt whatsoever.

So, I hustled on over to M&W, picked out a tube of refrigerated cookie dough and dropped it on the counter to pay. The cashier (a boy) looked at it, then at me, and said,

"That's it?"
"Yep", I answered.
And then he said, "You came out in the freezing cold, at 10:00 at night to buy fake cookies?"


Ouch.

I think I will take 'making fake cookies' off of my list of acceptable compromises in the Year of No.

4 comments:

LaurieJ said...

Fake cookies? Funny

Game 1 last night?
Not.funny.at.all

I actually did the same thing yesterday. I went to buy chocolate chips and they were 3.69. Toll house cookie dough was 2/6.00. I bought the fake stuff and was only happy that it tasted so nasty because it kept me from eating all of them!

Written by Jill and/or Dan said...

FAKE COOKIES! I'm going to ask for one when I pick up Eowyn. Ha Ha Ha

Anonymous said...

I got over the guilt of packaged cookie dough about five years ago. Give it time Heather. When I saw moms dragging into my classroom with a beautiful plate of homemade frosted sugar cookies and my students would take one bite, then throw the cookie in the trash, it made me want to cry! Trust me, they don't know the difference like we do.

Tonia Z said...

and somehow I think all of them were GONE at the end of the day, and you had less headache and sweat from it. I'm with Bonnie. Some things are worth the compromise/sacrifice. If you can bag the costume idea in the year of NO, cookies are an easy no brainer.