Halloween, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...
Anyone who knows me, knows how I feel about Halloween. I like trick or treating, and I like the kids dressing up--a lot. But when it extends to adults dressing up, and decorating like you're celebrating Hell, well then, I draw the line.
I taught my first preschool class eighteen years ago, and was horrified when I realized I would be expected to "dress up" with my class. I wore overalls, which happened to be in style in 1991, shoved some hay in the pockets, wore my boyfriend's plaid flannel shirt and called myself a...farmer? Anyway, it sufficiently pleased my boss and wasn't too humiliating for me. Now every time Halloween comes around I face the dilemma of dressing up or weasling out of it. I love seeing my preshool kids in their darling costumes, and they are so happy and excited! Why should I take away from their spotlight? Right?
This year, I actually thought about doing a little 'something'. I thought tie-dying a shirt Halloween colors would be festive and cool. I found a long-sleeve shirt that I could dye ($15 cheap at ShopKo), black and orange dye ($3 each). I thought about spending that much money on an afternoon staining my hands and my sink. Then I thought again. For a shirt that I will wear once a year? I'm way too neurotic about wasting money and time to do that. Then I saw adult-size Halloween t-shirts at another store. Black, with sequin and applique pumpkins or ghosts. I actually stood there staring at them for about five minutes. Could I wear these and still have dignity? I never wanted to wear "teacher" clothes--you know, denim jumpers with apples, pumpkins, turkeys, reindeer, hearts, shamrocks, you-name-it embroidered on them...I walked away.
So, to my dear preschool class and their parents, I'm sorry! I can't do it! I do promise to throw the best Halloween party, make the world's best sugar cookies in the shape of pumpkins to decorate and to gush over your adorable costumes. I will take my kids trick-or-treating with our neighbors because I love the tradition. But I will not paint my face or pretend to be Little Red Riding Hood for a day. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you want to...
4 comments:
Alright, I hear you, I'm with you. But there's no excuse for not wearing the teacher jumper! Maybe you could wear the teacher jumper for Halloween.
Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for not wearing reindeer pins and sweater vests...slacks and sweatshirts...
and for not 'celebrating hell', which reading made me laugh and laugh.
Hey... I think I own the teacher jumper. JK!! We are all supposed to dress up on the 30th as well, and ironically my "costume" was the scarecrow idea.
My boys are all dressing up as Star Wars characters (Justin and Thomas included). I thought for about two minutes about being 'Leah' from Star Wars to go along with the theme. But, then why break with tradition-- I haven't dressed up since I was 12. I'm with you on the aversion to costumes.
Post a Comment