Sunday, November 9, 2008

Yin and Yang

My kids are getting older. Not too old, but older. We have turned the corner from "little kids" to just plain kids. Eliza will be ten soon and while Wilson is a mere six years old, he is physically big (just five pounds less than Eliza!) and quite mature, if I do say so myself. Heading into a new phase of parenthood has made me reflect on my feelings about my children growing up. Here are a few thoughts.

Good Part: It has been at least two years since I wiped someone else's bum.
Bad Part: I so miss the swish swish sound of a toddler running around in just a diaper.

Good Part: I don't have to feed each bite of food to the kids, nor do I have to cut everything up into small, bite-sized pieces for them.
Bad Part: They are old and big enough to know the tricks to the stealth operation of climbing up on the counter to look for hidden treats. They figured out my secret chocolate stash a long time before I caught them.

Good Part: I have school time ALONE AND TO MYSELF each day.
Bad Part: Same as above

Good Part: Two words--Chore Delegation! I can't tell you the last time I unloaded the dishwasher.
Bad Part: Two words--Lower Standards. One day a few weeks ago I started finding bits of dried up food on our silverware, then plates, then a mixing bowl...Apparently I ordered E&W to unload the dishwasher before I had run it and they didn't seem to notice the oversight...

Good Part: Our kids are old enough to attend church without crying bouts, dirty diapers and separation anxiety.
Bad Part: No excuses to go home early.

Good Part: My kids are interested in so many cool things! I love that they are discovering the world.
Bad Part: $300 Mountain Bikes. $50 piano lessons. $70 Dance class. $25 Paleontology class. $$$$ Book Orders. $125 Microscope. Etc Etc

Good Part: My kids shower and dress without ANY supervision!!
Bad Part: I noticed that one of my children (who shall remain anonymous) didn't have any underwear in the laundry for quite some time. After some digging in dresser drawers, I discovered that this child hadn't worn clean unders for waaaay too long. Eww.

Good Part: No more carseats!!
Bad Part: The carnage that is my back seat after not really paying attention to what was being ground into the seat for the past six years and is no longer hidden by those carseats.

Good Part: My kids are growing up!
Bad Part: I'm getting old!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite post you have ever done! And amen to it all! I am going to guess it is the boy on the unders thing..at least it would be at my house :-)

Carly G. said...

This was so cute! I laughed out loud when I read the part about the dirty underwear!
You have two of the world's best kids. They're both so unique and so sweet and this world is a much better place because of them.
Well done heather!!