Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day

I love the 4th of July. I think I enjoy and look forward to this holiday even more than Christmas. Back in my singleton days I spent several summers/Independence Days in New England and loved the really simple and traditional celebrations there. I always wanted to have an observance of the 4th that was a celebration of community like those I fell in love with back east. So four years ago we started hosting a BBQ and, rather than making it a church/ward-specific activity, or just all of our good friends, we decided to make it a neighborhood party. What a great get-together this has been for us. We got together the first year as a few acquaintances and a lot of strangers. Now we are all friends and have become closer as a neighborhood. There were over 100 people in our front yard last night. We have all come to expect certain yummy dishes and it is always fun to check in with people you haven't chatted with since last summer. Here are some pics. Hope your celebration was just as nice.

Neighborhood Friends

The food tent


BBQ gurus


Carly, Buster and Levi looking festive


Hanging out and enjoying great company


Wils on the waterslide that we set up in the street (I know, I know, it's kind of phallic)


Eliza's sweet 4th of July ride

3 comments:

Carly G. said...

Once again, your BBQ ROCKS! Every year it gets better and better. Thanks for always putting on one heckuva party!

grandma K said...

I've heard rumors that you guys have the BEST 4th party and I can see why. What a lot of work!!! The pictures show how much fun everyone was having!!

Carly G. said...

Did the slip-n-slide have to be a flesh colored pink?