
If you are from Utah, have ever been to Utah, have family in Utah or have merely heard of Utah, you will know the significance of the 24th of July. I have explained it to non-Mormon friends that in Utah, Pioneer Day is as revered and celebrated as Independence Day. July 24th, 1847 is the day that the Mormon pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley.
I am proud (the good kind) of my pioneer ancestors. I often think of them, and compare their faith with my own. How strong they were, physically and spiritually. I love the women, and wonder what they would be like as friends or sisters. I have read piles of stories about my ancestors' adventures and trials and am always impressed with their love of the gospel and their individual sacrifice. They may have eaten dinner with the Prophet Joseph, or held meetings with Brigham Young, but I have over 150 years of experiences and studies to draw on because of them. I think I have the better end of the deal.
So I love to celebrate the pioneers, and especially on the 24th of July. This year we spent the day with Melissa and her family at the Pioneer Monument Village in Salt Lake. It was a very hot, very fun, and did I mention hot? day.
2 comments:
Nice posting! I love the pics and I love your thoughts of the holiday :)
so fun to read and feel I know your fam better- You're an awesome mom and neice! What surgery did u have? Mike is 6 wks out from his, ACL-
Post a Comment