I realized today that we are exactly halfway through summer vacation. This thought creates panic in me. First of all, it hasn't been nearly hot enough for me to feel like I've had a bona fide Boise summer. This morning, for example, we rode our bikes to the library and wore sweatshirts. July 13th, and we wore sweatshirts. I look at the forecast and see the next ten days in the high 90s, so I won't complain too loudly tonight, but I want to be good and worn out from heat when September hits. How can I face winter if I haven't reached the point where I am cursing the heat?
I also feel panicky when looking at our summer bucket list. Almost everything on it has been hampered by my bum knee. How can I convince my kids that playing at the park while Mommy sits on the bench and reads is just as much fun as floating the Boise river?? I believe I have bought a little bit of compensation by indulging our family in way too many shaved-ice shack trips. Especially now that the Shack near our house has "birthday cake" flavor. This trick has quieted many a compaint by my *bored* kids.
And speaking of bored, both of my children complained of that affliction today. I dutifully kicked them out of the house and ordered them to go find something to do. After a while I got bored without them around and went outside too. We found a bucket of sidewalk chalk in the garage and I talked them into playing hop-scotch. I was surprised at how willing they were to play something that was so old-fashioned and simple. (For all my attempts at a more old-fashined and simple life my kids sure spend a lot of time on the computer and in front of the TV...) Our neighbor friend, who was here playing with Wilson, thought the hopscotch was terribly boring and went home, leaving the three of us to play. We had a good time, and it was nice to be outside, hot, and together all at the same time.
1 comment:
Maybe you'll appreciate next summer more!! Can't wait to see you!!
Post a Comment