Have you ever heard of Neola, Utah? I'll give you five bucks if you have (and aren't related to me). It's where my Great-Grandparents had a cattle ranch, where my dad's mother was born, where my dad ran around as a kid and is just a few minutes away from where I was raised. The ranch is still there, sans the Black Angus monsters, who were sold a few years ago. My grandma's brother and his wife still live on the property and we spent the afternoon with them last week.
Neola is seriously one of those places that you joke about and say, "Don't blink or you'll miss it!" And the place is *exactly* the way I remember it from my own childhood. The property is a kid's paradise. You can run and run and feed horses and climb on hay bales, get muddy in the irrigation ditch and scare yourself silly exploring the ancient milking building with all of it's rusty old tools and cobwebs.
The picture of Eliza and Wilson sitting on the porch is especially cool to me, as I have a picture of my dad as a young lad on his tricycle (ca. 1950) in front of it, and then one of myself (ca. 1974) sitting on the steps. I have thought about snapping one of my own kids there for years. I hope that they will always remember the fun afternoon they spent there with fondness.
1 comment:
Good old Merl... I know I was always his favorite "adopted" grandchild. He looks pretty good, even after all these years. Tell him I said hello when you talk to/see him again.
Post a Comment