Monday, November 23, 2009

Sunday



We have deemed hiking a good Sunday activity. This was a couple of weeks ago. If you look closely, you can see our house!

I second Laurie's complaint about how hard Sundays are. My sink is *filled* with dirty dishes, the kids are bored, and Zane, bless his heart, gets really, really tired and usually goes to bed early on Sundays. I try to do Sundays right--we go to church (and enjoy it!), we have a nice after-church lunch and I have a list on the fridge of Sabbath-appropriate activities. I guess the kids don't find journal writing, playing the piano/violin, playing board games and 'resting' very exciting. Come to think of it, neither did I until I hit 30 or so...

I have been spending Sundays working on geneaology and putting together a family history book that (cross your fingers) will be finished by Christmas. I absolutely love reading about my ancestors. And it makes me laugh that my kids (and I) complain about unloading the DISHWASHER when these people milked cows, grew their own food, made their own clothes (not fashion-y aprons either!) and gave birth to children left and right with or without their husbands around to help. One woman I'm reading about left her family when she was 12 and, with her ten year-old brother, DROVE A TEAM OF OXEN 1000 miles from Iowa to Utah. Do you think she and her brother teased, poked, tripped and rolled their eyes at each other?

Actually, they probably did.

2 comments:

michellemcpherson said...

It's so true, we have nothing to complain about, i'm glad you're so excited about ancestry, you're awesome, I love reading the stories too, we are trying to get grandpa to write some life stories down, he's not too motivated though

Carly G. said...

12 years old? I was still playing pretend horses when I was twelve, I can't imagine actually driving a herd of oxen on horseback. Crazy!