
Fifteen years ago today, Zane and I got married. That sounds like such a long time ago. Someone in the family told me recently that the common opinion fifteen years ago was that it wouldn't last! I can understand the skepticism. The day Zane and I met was day 1. The day we got married was day 10. Now, there were a few days in between those (not as many as you would think), but because we lived in different states, those ten days were the ones we spent together. Zane and I have debated the pros and cons to such a whirlwind courtship, and have argued for and against telling our children we did that. We are still split on recommending it, although for us, it was perfect.
So here, to celebrate, I am listing my 15 favorite things about Zane.
1. Zane is incapable of holding a grudge. He just can't. Not ever. His memory for being mad at someone is about one minute long. He has quietly taught me the error of my grudge-holding ways.
2. The guy talks in his sleep. And it is soooo funny. If I didn't think it would embarass him too much, I would record it. Last night he said, "Is it really necessary to have all these people here?"
3. I love that he went from world-traveling, couch-surfing, hot-shot Seattle-kayaking-guide-single guy to being my husband in a heartbeat. What a compliment!
4. Zane has strong faith in God. He wants to be good, wants to do good, and doesn't ask for much in return.
5. In our household, the kids and I come first. None of Zane's hobbies, jobs or friends have ever changed that.
6. If I am a raincloud (I am), then Zane is the sun. He balances me out with his smiles, awesome sense of humor and general cheeriness.
7. Zane can arrange furniture like nobody's business. I think he was born with a feng shui gift. He can tell you where to hang a picture, set a chair or move a sofa, and it will be perfect.
8. It's fun to watch movies with Zane because he simply cannot remember a movie once it's over. It's like he never saw it.
9. Zane introduced me to the marine world. I am not a big water person, but Zane has taught me to appreciate oceans, marine life, the science of rivers and kayaking. Some of my favorite memories are of the two of us in sea kayaks around the San Juan Islands. So cool and peaceful. Once, when we were out in the boats, a pod of Orca whales swam up to us. We sat, still and silent as they swam around and under us, and touching our boats with their noses. A few poked their heads up out of the water to look at us, and a calf jumped clear out of the water. A male swam right past me and his dorsal fin must have been five feet tall. I have never had an experience like it again, and I have Zane to thank for it.
10. He is very patient with my aversion to doing dishes. When it gets beyond his tolerence point, he'll just do them. Without complaining.
11. Zane works hard. He won't pay anyone to do something he can do himself, and if he can't do it himself, he'll figure out how. I didn't know how valuable and admirable a trait this was until I married him. I hope Wilson follows in his footsteps.
12. The funniest thing Zane has ever done since I've known him (though it wasn't amusing at the time) was to complain to my midwife, while she was helping me GIVE BIRTH to our son, about his sinus infection. He showed her exactly where it hurt the most---"here, and here"---and asked if she could write a prescription for him. I'M NOT LYING. HE REALLY DID THIS.
13. Zane lets me pretend I'm in charge.
14. A couple of years ago, Zane uncharacteristically planned a surprise anniversary present for me. He took time off of work, arranged for a babysitter and took me out to eat. Trouble was, it was on July 21st, instead of August 21st.
15. He has defied the odds and stayed married to me for fifteen years. He is definitely my better half and I am lucky to call him my husband!
3 comments:
I LOVE that picture of you two. Zane is an amazing part of our family and we're so blessed to have him! You guys are such an inspiration to me and I hope you have many, many anniversaries after this!
P.S. I say tell the kids about your whirlwind romance. It's a really cool story and they'll probably think you guys are slightly awesome for it :)
I agree with Carly- after 15 great years together, you have the street cred to say "Hey! This worked out! We're awesome!" to your kiddos.
Happy Anniversary you guys- we think the world of ya!
Such a great picture of you two, and a great tribute! Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment